Haha... just trying out this blogger thingie. Quite new to me, ya.
This afternoon at my workplace some general workers were trying to install a new long fluorescent light in the office around lunchtime. Whoa, they meddled with it from 11 am till 12-plus (our lunchtime).
As usual, I was in the pantry eating my Char Kuay Teow with a few colleagues.
One of them is a 21-year-old girl. FYI she's an only child and quite scared of the dark as she's quite superstitious and afraid of "things".
So we were eating halfway through when half the lights went out.
And then one colleague started sharing scary stories.
And when she was at the scariest part, all the lights in the office blew out (power trip) , leaving us in total darkness. The 21-year-old girl let out a short, but really terrified scream.
Before we knew it, she was already sobbing uncontrollably and clinging to my side. I was the only one sitting beside her. But instead of saying comforting words, I think I only making matters worse.
Well, for one, I said that she shouldn't have cried because there's a guy around. It's very embarassing leh, something along that line.
Silly mouth! I should have said some comforting words at least. I was at a total loss this time.
Give me a crying child anytime, and I may be able to coax the child with a candy or treat.
But a crying girl? Ohh, nonono..
Guess I should pay more attention to others' needs. I'm not really a person who is able to be sensitive to people's feelings, this I admit, but I hope that I can be a good friend to the girl, as we are the youngest in the office and perhaps can connect at a closer level (well, I need a peer too!)
In the later part of the day, I apologised and asked how she was feeling. Glad that she's OK now.
Well, the best part of the blackout is that, they reset the punchcard clock and now the bell ring to dismissal everyday is punctual at 5.45pm, not late by 3 minutes. haha.. sounds like school, right? But i'm feeling very glad all the same. [P.S. forgive my compo-like entry. It's my first attempt!]